The most basic thing that you need before preparing for a trip, of course you must do some research. Unless you follow tour then its a different story. You would need to decide what kind of trip you wants to go for. For example; shopping, sightseeing, food eating, etc.
For this trip of mine the focus would be the culture, some local stuff, food, sightseeing, etc. Of course a little shopping is a must. Since this is a winter season, it is critical that you take care of your body. Although Taiwan does not snow, but it often rains and have heavy winds. Uses lotion, lip balm, moisturizers, apply some mask, wearing the appropriate outfit to cover every part of your body from head to toe to make sure that you are warm. You might want to bring umbrella or raincoat. But no worries you can get it anywhere there conveniently.
Flights: I chose the Malaysia Airlines this round due to they have promotions. The ticket was bought about half a year ago. The flight is from KLIA to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport and cost about RM2K for 2 which includes everything.
Accommodations: Hotels are all pre-booked by our driver. Due to changing town daily, hotels will have to change daily as well except the last few days at Taipei, we stayed in the same hotel.
Cash/CreditCards: Changed New Taiwan Dollar (TWD), and carry some Ringgit Malaysia. Bring sufficient to cover all the expenses including hotels as most of the hotel accept cash. Do remember to call your bank to inform that you are out of country to make sure that they do not block your credit card when you need to use them.
Getting around Taiwan: We pre-booked a driver for the first 7 days and he came in a VW Touareg. The rest of the journey in Taipei is by Metro. The metro service is very convenient and accurate. It works like the subway in Korea and Hong Kong. For convenience sake, I bought the EasyCard which works like the touchngo. You can get it from the machine below by paying TWD100. Reload according to your usage. I reloaded TWD400 in total per person for the whole 3day. It very much depends on where you are heading.
List of main visiting places:
– He Xing Railway Station (合興車站), Lavender Cottage Farm (薰衣草森林), Nanliao Fishing Port (南寮漁港)
– Everlasting Bridge (天長地久橋), Fen Chi Hu Station (奮起湖), Alisan (ㄚ里山)
– Tataka Couple Tree (塔塔加&夫妻樹), Sun Moon Lake (日月潭遊湖)
– Paper Dome (紙教堂), Ching Jing Farm (清境農場), Green Green Grassland & Mountain view ranch (青青草園&觀山牧場), Carton King (紙相王)
– Taroko National Park (太魯閣國家公園), Wuling (武嶺), He Huan Shan (合歡山), BiLu Sacred Tree (碧綠神木), Intertek (天祥), Cimu Bridge aka Loving Mother Bridge (慈母橋), ChiShingTan Beach (七星潭)
– QingShui Cliff (清水斷崖), ZhaoAn Observation Deck (昭安觀景台), National Center for Traditional Art (傳統藝術中心), LuoDong Forestry Culture Garden (羅東林場)
– Lanyang Museum (蘭陽博物館), JiuFen (九份), Golden Waterfall (黃金瀑布), Yin Yang Sea (陰陽海), ShiFen Sky Lantern (十分天燈)
– LongShan temple (龍山寺), Chiang Kai Shek Memorial (中正紀念堂), Dan Shui (淡水), Dan Shui Fisherman’s Wharf (淡水漁人碼頭)
– Taipei Zoo, Dihua Street (迪化街)
– Ximending (西門町), Taipei Underground Shopping Centre (地下階)
List of old streets:
– Neiwan Old street (内灣老街)
– JiuFen Old Street (九份老街)
– Dan Shui Old Street (淡水老街)
List of night markets:
– Feng Jia Night Market (逢甲夜市)
– ZiQiang Night Market (自強夜市)
– Shilin Night Market (士林夜市)